Terror threats against the Parliament

 

altA man was arrested as a result of several police raids, after terror threats had been issued against the Parliament buildings (Stortinget) in central Oslo Wednesday morning.

In an easter suburb, several families were evacuated in the middle of the night while police looked for suspects early Wednesday morning. People in the area were told to stay away, and the Parliament was kept under heavy security, and several streets were cordoned off.

Members of Parliament who came to work Wednesday voiced concerns over the lack of communication with employees, who were not informed of the terror threats.

Director of Parliament Ida Børresen later apologized to employees and MPs: "The information from the Parliament's administration concerning last nights bomb threats was not good enough," she said.

Police eventually arrested a male in his 20s who is suspected to have issued terror threats against the Parliament while he was on a bus going from Hønefoss to Sandvika, just outside of Oslo.

The man is known to the police and has confirmed that he was carrying a gas weapon and a bag, and that he was on the bus where people had heard someone issuing the threats, deputy police chief Roger Andresen informs.

Several newspapers, including Aftenposten, report that the man who was arrested is connected to right-wing extremist groups. The man has also allegedly threatened both Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and Minister of Culture Hadia Tajik in social media, according to Aftenposten.

(NRK/Aftenposten)

Julie Ryland

 


Related Articles

NATO's Secretary General meets with Prime Minister

  Foto: Torbjørn Fosvold, Forsvarets MediesenterSecretary General of NATO, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, met with Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg in Oslo on Wednesday to discuss NATO's future and Norway's involvement in the Ocean Shield Operation. ..Read more...

More funds for the fight against international crime

  The Norwegian government is to provide NOK 26 million for the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The funds will be used to fight crime at the global level.  ..Read more...

Government tightens terror laws

  Grete FaremoSevere forms of terror can be punished with up to 30 years in prison when the government implements the coming changes to the current criminal law.  ..Read more...

Nordic Police Emergency Responce Units cooperate

altThe Scandinavian Police Emergency Response Units will in future cooperate closer in order to coordinate the fight against terrorism and in other national emergencies. ..Read more...

PM opens Labour Party's National Congress

altPrime Minister and leader of the Labour Party, Jens Stoltenberg opened the party's National Congress on Thursday, with a memorial ceremony to honor of the victims of July 22...Read more...

Stricter security at Parliament buildings

altThe Oslo municipality has agreed to close off two streets in the centre of the capital, as part of an effort to improve security around the Parliament buildings. ..Read more...

Demands stricter arms control

eskhildpedersenHead of the Labour Party Youth Branch (AUF), Eskil Pedersen, is asking that the Labour Party's National Congress adopt a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons in Norway. ..Read more...

Norway welcomes global arms trade treaty

altNorway welcomes the historic Global Arms Trade Treaty adopted by the UN General Assembly by a huge majority. The aim of the treaty is to control the trade in conventional arms...Read more...

Anders Behring Breivik denied leave for mother's funeral

Mother of the sentenced terrorist Anders Behring Breivik died on March 22'nd at the age of 66 after years of severe ilness. The request by her son to be allowed to participate in the funeral was turned down by by the prison authorities. Behring Breivik is detained in the prison's section of extra high security. According to the director at Ila prison,  Knut Barkeid, those who are held here only have the possibility of being granted leave if there are questions of serious health condition that must be treated at facilities outside the prison. It has been determined that Breivik ..Read more...

Evaluation of the terrorist attack in Algeria

altThe Government's evaluation report following the terrorist attack on the BP/Statoil gas plant in Algeria concludes that the Norwegian authorities handled the crisis In Amenas in a good way...Read more...

Government to spend NOK 109 million on emergency response

altNotepads in police vehicles, improved alarm systems, one single emergency phone number and more police is on the government’s list of improvements after the July 22nd Commission’s criticism. ..Read more...

In Amenas hostages: - Coincidence helped us survive

Three Norwegian Statoil employees who survived the terror attack in In Amenas, Algeria in January, has told about how a series of coincidences saved their lives during the attack. ..Read more...

Unanimous July 22nd criticism

altThe government coalition and the opposition parties on Tuesday joined in a unanimous vote in Parliament, acccepting the report which criticised all that failed on July 22nd 2011.(Photo: Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg) ..Read more...

Intelligence report warns against militant Islamists

alt In its latest report, the Norwegian Intelligence Service concludes that militant Islamism remains the largest terror threat against Norway and its interests.(Photo: Head of Intelligence Lt-Gen Kjell Grandhagen) ..Read more...

Islamist extremist claims to be advisor for Norwegian group

The British Islamist extremist, Anjem Choudary, claims to be a mentor for the Norwegian Islamist group, Profetens Ummah (the Prophet's Ummah). ..Read more...