Norwegian World War II resistance fighter Gunnar Sønsteby, who earned Norway's highest military decoration for daring raids against the Nazi occupiers, has died. He was 94.
Sønsteby was a member of the Norwegian Resistance's Kompani Linge, a group of volunteers trained in Britain for secret missions during the 1940 to 1945 Nazi occupation of Norway, as well as the famous "Oslo Gang". The group carried out spectacular sabotage raids against factories, railroads and fuel supplies to hamper the German war effort.
Sønsteby was on Gestapo's most wanted list, with a NOK 200,000 price on his head, and was constantly on the move between several apartments, using 30 different identity cards.
Sønsteby also led the smuggling of money printing plates from Norway's Central Bank to the exiled government in London, enabling them to continue printing and using Norwegian money.
After the war, he spent much of his time talking to young students all across the country about the occupation, the effect of war and the importance of fighting for peace in the world.
Norway's King Harald said: "He has had a long and rich life, and he has meant a lot to a great many, including the Royal Family."
Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg says: "Gunnar Sønsteby was a war hero for five years, and a peace hero over the next 60 years."
In 1946 he received the Norwegian War Cross with two swords for his bravery, and with three swords in 2002. No other Norwegian has received that decoration.
Sønsteby also received the British Distinguished Service Order in 1945.
His funeral will be at the Government's expense.
(NRK/Aftenposten/Vårt Land)(Picture Dagbladet)




Public funeral services were held at the Oslo Cathedral Friday for the Norwegian World War II resistance fighter Gunnar Sønsteby, who earned Norway's highest military decorations for daring raids against the Nazi occupiers.
..
Museum Nord is an umbrella organization for museums and historical information in the North of Norway, Lofoten, Vesterålen and Ofoten. There are museums and historical presentations in 8 municipalities Vågan, Hadsel, Sortland, Bø, Øksnes, Andøy, Narvik og Ballangen.
..
300 bombs have so far been dropped by Norwegian forces in Libya – making it the largest number of bombs used in a military operation since World War II. Updates from NATO, however, indicate that it could still take another year to break down Gadafi’s military regime.
..
Documents just released from German archives have for the first time presented proof which show that Norwegian citizens worked in Nazi consentration camps during World War II.
..
A new global treaty banning cluster munitions came into force on Sunday August 1st, - 20 months after the treaty was signed in the Oslo City Hall in December 2008.
..
Today, April 9th, it is 70 years since Norway was invaded by German forces at the beginning of World War II. Early that morning the German cruiser "Blücher" was sunk at Drøbak in the Oslo Fjord.
..





