The U.S. has delayed the production and purchase of 120 F-35 fighter jets, Aftenposten reports, something which could also cause problems for Norway’s new fleet.
More delays for F-35 fighter jets
In addition to the delays, the program will be re-structured for the third time this year, according to sources from the American Department of Defense who have confirmed the information from Reuters. The production has been delayed to save money and spend more time on development. Norway is planning to purchase 52 fighter jets in 2018, and will be one of the first of eight international partners that are changing their fleet. Several of these countries are struggling financially, and will have to make drastic cuts in their defense budgets. It is not yet clear how the most recent delay will affect Norway, but the price may go up if fewer planes are delivered at the same time. That is also why Norway decided last year to postpone the purchase by two years, from 2016 to 2018. However, the current jets in use are getting closer to retirement age, which according to State Secretary Roger Ingebrigsten will make it difficult to extend the purchase even further. - The risk is that we won’t have any operative planes at all, he told Aftenposten in early December. Back then, Ingebrigtsen stated that Norway will have to get as close as possible to the point when it is most reasonable to buy, without putting itself in a situation where there is no fighter jet capacity. "We can’t sit here and pretend that we won’t have a problem after 2020," he said.
(Aftenposten) Julie Ryland Posted in Section:
Business -
Category:
General Business
Written by Rolleiv Solholm
Related ArticlesFlooding halts more rail services
Requests funds to purchase fighter planes
New Norwegian ambassador to the USPolitical Director Kåre Aas of the Department of Foreign Affairs will become the new Norwegian ambassador to the US, according to Aftenposten...Read more... Norwegian WW II hero honored in the UKNorwegian WW II veteran Joachim Rønneberg, also called the last hero of Telemark, and the man who helped stop Hitler's A-bomb, was Thursday honored for his war-time efforts at a ceremony in the UK. ..Read more... Kongsberg to deliver weapons control systemKongsberg Defence has booked an order of remote weapons stations (RWS) valued at MNOK 149 from Swedish Defence (Försvarets Materialverk (FMV))...Read more... Journalists monitored by Norwegian Defence Intelligence
Cyber attack against Telenor leadership
Lay-offs in Norwegian defence indusrtryThe major cuts in the US defence budget will have consequences for the Norwegian defence industry. Raufoss-based Nammo has already announced lay-offs, Aftenposten reports. ..Read more... - Conscripts could work in the health sectorThe Agrarian Party suggests that youth should be able to choose between serving in the Norwegian Defense or do civil service in the health sector while in compulsory military training. ..Read more... Norwegian women opposed to gender-neutral military service
War veterans in good mental health
A need for coordination between the police and the military
Higher terror alert at Norwegian military installations
Increasing number of cyber attacks against Norway
In favour of Norwegian troops for Africa
|
You may also be interested in...
Currency ConverterLocal News in Brief
Visit HolmenkollenPREV
NEXT
http://www.norwaypost.no/components/com_gk3_photoslide/thumbs_big/651488scaffold4.jpg
lower scaffoldinggoogle1e8b852d2a7a0128.html 404: Not Found google1e8b852d2a7a0128.html Sorry, but the content you requested could not be found. Please use the top menu to access your desired content page. Thank you. See details Most Popular
WHAT's YOUR OPINIONNorwaypost Classifieds |