Kloegetvedttunet

Torger and Bertha Kløgetvedt gave the old Kløgetvedttunet, with its tools and equipment to Bjerkreim District Council in 1984. The farm is located in a small clustered courtyard as was common in Bjerkreim before agricultural revolution.

 

{mosimage}

 

Kløgetvedt farm as it is referred to in Bjerkreim has five buildings: the main farm house was built in 1853 in typical Jærhus architectural style with two full floors and a sheltered sitting areas on both sides.

In the upper floor, an exhibition of old equipment has been laid out. There cow byre from the 1700´s, a sheep byre from the 1800´s, both are built in grey stone. The stable and blacksmiths are from the present century.

{mosimage} The Kløgetvedt farm was traditionally centrally situated by the road between Bjerkreim and 'Heia'. Travellers and vagrants could spend the night here. In the main house there was a post office and telephone exchange.

The oldest occupants we know of at Kløgetvedt were Amund and Magnhyld.They are to be found in the tax documents from 1519. However, other people have lived here long before the 1500's, the many large mine bings inform us of this. The last family that lived and worked the farm were Olaf and Karina Ognedal. They left in 1967.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{mosimage} THE FARMS HISTORY

Jørgen Skjæveland wrote in 'Old from Bjerkreim' that the word Kløytfet originates from a stream which divides the land into two land parcels. Today, this place name has been modernized into Kløgetvedt.

'Torvheia' was the name given to the part of the settlement were Kløgetvedt is situated. This area was forest free and timber and building materials had to be bought elsewhere. Timber used for the main farmhouse was bought from the Mandel area, and transported by boat to Egersund. From here they were cooperatively driven by horse and sledge to Kløgetvedt during the winter. Peat was the dominant fuel used until 1952, when the farm received electricity. Marks still exist in the landscape after the peat sheds in the marshes. Place names such as 'Torvløknuten' still exist and tell of peat as an important part of daily life. People that lived here new more than farming. Klaus Kløgetvedt was furthur known for his medicines and gave advic on various animal health disorders. He was the settlements self-taught vet. Klaus Kløytfet´s special pliers for tooth extraction was an item that many of Bjerkeimsbus population had experienced. This equipment can be furthur studied in the upper floor of the main farm building.

 

 

{mosimage}

 

'BRUKS-TUN'
Bjerkreim District Council would like the Kløgetvedt-courtyard to be used actively by groups and societies for meetings, courses, exhibitions, small concerts etc. Those interested in renting the courtyard can contact Bjerkreim District Council, 4389 Vikeså

TLF: +47 51 45 23 00

The Norway Post

12°C

Norway

Cloudy

Humidity: 98%

Wind: 22.53 km/h

  • 23 May 2018 23°C 10°C
  • 24 May 2018 19°C 7°C
Banner 468 x 60 px